Saturday, October 14, 2017

Cyril J Deal Ltd of Kelvedon - Triumph car dealer 47

Cyril J Deal Ltd of Kelvedon near Colchester who were a Triumph car dealer are the subject of this short article.
Cyril J Deal Ltd window sticker
Cyril J Deal Ltd window sticker
A long standing firm that started out in 1919.
Hillman Imps outside the Cyril J Deal showroom
Hillman Imps outside the Cyril J Deal showroom
The firm have held many different franchises over the years including, Hillman, Ford, Jaguar, Land Rover, Rover, Proton and Standard Triumph.
Ford cars in the Cyril J Deal showroom
Ford cars in the Cyril J Deal showroom

Many traders issue promotional material such as key rings.  Here is something less common a Deal of Kelvedon yellow duster.
Deal of Kelvedon yellow duster
Deal of Kelvedon yellow duster

Still in business

Now known as Deal of Kelvedon, the business sells new Great Wall trucks, used cars and does MOT's.  It also has a body shop and does classic car restoration.
Deal of Kelvedon February 2015
Deal of Kelvedon February 2015

Dealer listing info

I have the firm in many dealer directory covering the period from October 1955 right up to May 1991. Always at the same address: Cyril J Deal Ltd, Railway Garage, Station Road, Kelvedon CO5 9NR. The name changing to Deal of Kelvedon in the May 1991 Rover Group dealer listing.

Plea for information

If you have any more information or recollections about Cyril J Deal Ltd of Kelvedon, photos of window stickers, dealer badges or sill plates etc please let me know. I can be contacted via the comments to this post or on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/stephen.weblin

Further information and sources

I wrote about Roy H.G.Tolley of Colne Garage, Butt Road Colchester earlier in this series.

Link to the other articles in this series.

Link to face book page: Triumph Car Dealers.

Link to my Triumph Car Dealers Flickr gallery of images I have found on Flickr.

I have a collection of Standard Triumph car dealer directories: http://vitessesteve.blogspot.co.uk/2016/03/triumph-car-dealer-directories.html

Picture credits: Ford cars in the Cyril J Deal showroom, and Hillman Imps outside the Cyril J Deal showroom images from Michael Trigger Carpenter on facebook; Deal of Kelvedon yellow duster from Tom Morley on facebook and Stil in business from google.

1 comment:

  1. I bought a 2nd hand '76 Triumph Dolomite 1850HL from the forecourt of Cyril J Deal in about 1982. They were no longer a BL dealer by then but it was on their forecourt for sale with other various used cars. When I went to buy it they were actually just selling it on commission for the former owners brother who was selling it as part of the former owners estate as he had sadly passed away so I was put in touch with the seller to do a deal.
    Strangely enough it turned out that I knew the former deceased owner as he was a senior manager at the company I worked for, Marconi in Chelmsford.
    There is a sad but funny story that came to light after I bought the car, I was hoovering it out and there was a strange bulge in the carpet on the side of the gearbox tunnel so I peeled back the carpet to investigate. What I found was a shock, there was a plastic carrier bag with some ladies lingerie and photos of a young girl in various states of undress including totally nude! What was even more shocking was that I recognised the girl as one of the secretary's at work who had a bit of a "reputation" LOL. It appears that the deceased owner must have been having an affair with her before he died, I know he was supposedly happily married, so I guess the stash of sexy garments and photos were hidden in the car away to keep out of sight of his wife LOL.

    ReplyDelete

Please sign your comments with your name and email address. Generally I do not publish anonymous comments and cannot reply if you do not give me a clue as to who you are!

Thanks very much for your comment.